Monday, April 19, 2010

Quite a Setback

So I have been knocking out animations for our main character Daft. They aren't the greatest but will have to suffice for Proof of Concept (PoC) turn-in which is Monday, April 26th.

I had gotten the run, jump, idle, light attack 1-2, and air hit cycles done, when I realized I had animated them all on the animation rig. Uh Oh. So me and my group mate Aleasha spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to make the game rig similar to the animation rig, transfer the same weights to it, attach them together, and then when exporting the animation, delete the animation rig altogether.

I assumed this wasn't that much of a problem since we were ahead a couple days of schedule. The penny dropped. If we couldn't figure this out, I would have to re-animate all of my animations and then be behind schedule. This was a total bummer.

We tried to get some help from the teachers present, they helped us figure out how to transfer weights in Maya, but my weights were not transferring correctly. Then I sent an e-mail out to some of our previous teacher that might know how to fix the issue. But, it could take a couple days before they even got back to us because they have busy schedules. This was turning out to be an issue. I admit, I was getting frustrated and felt lost. But I wouldn't give up that easily, I would take a break from the issue, and hit it head on with fresh head and fresh ideas the next day.

I went home and was trying to calm down. I get a text from Aleasha that she had figured it out but the only downside was, that I would have to re-paint weights. Awesome! I love painting weights, and that she figured it out was fantastic. Way to go Aleasha!

No comments: