Monday, April 26, 2010

This is Rubbish.

Today was Proof of Concept (PoC). There are many words that I can use to describe it. All of them good and bad at the same time. Our build of the game had hiccups, bugs, and glitches. But nether the less, I still thought it was really awesome that we got that far in only 2 weeks time.

Especially the programmers, they kicked ass in the las two days. They managed to get assets and animations into the game. Super sweet! The only problem was that our animations, mainly mine, looked horrendous in the game. And it wasn't the programmers fault. For some reason when exported out of Maya, some verts glitch out and go all over the place.

At first we thought it might be the exporter tool, but then we tested other teams animations and they worked perfectly. Then I thought that it may have something to do with our earlier rig hiccup that we had.

No matter, I had a new Daft mesh and rig to be tested this morning. It still didn't work. What the heck?! I've done everything the other teams have done and then some but my animations still glitched out. Even from my previous class, my three legged character worked, but not Daft.

Then breakthrough! I did not bind the God Node to the mesh, every other team had done that! This must be the issue we are having! So I re-rig and test.

...It still breaks. ??????? Why??? I have no idea what is going on at this point. I've even had other people look at it and they say I am doing everything correctly.

The only other thing I can think of is ask our Art Producer tomorrow on what he thinks, but if that doesn't work, my only conclusion is that the script that makes the rig must be making some other random node somewhere in the deepest darkest depths of Maya that it's breaking my half decent animations! Whew, that was a mouth full.

Therefore, I am going to either use a different script, or make my own rig. Now if we only had 1-2 characters, I would be OK with rigging it myself, but we have 9 characters. I don't think we have time for 9 rigs!

I am a little flustered right now with this rigging/animating malarkey, and that my throat still feels like its getting squeezed by some tiny little gorilla every time I swallow. It's OK though! Tomorrow will be a new day, and I will find a solution!!

No comments: